"The question isn't who is going to let me,it's who is going to stop me."

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

QUANTUM MECHANICS vs. LORD KRISHNA

Or should it have been somebody like Ashoka, who spread the gospel of eastern philosophy of oneness of being like nobody before him did. Muddling thoughts all going through my brain... Just completed this book on quantum physics and reality "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribbin... Maybe I did miss the point that the author wanted to convey... but one proof that he gave of each particle being aware of every other particle in the universe at the quantum level and that means every other particle in the universe... mind boggling... the first thought that occured to me was - isn't it the same thing as "Aatma parmatma se hi janam leti hai aur usi mein leen ho jaati hai..." ( gotta better my roman hindi/english ? )... In essense what Lord Krishna told Arjun on the battlefield of Kurushetra - "Sab maya hai... apna kartavya karo". Same way the quantum particles do not bother to stop and think what we shall think of them... They go merrily about doing what they want to do; and they do quite a lot of amazing stuff. In the analogous Young's Double slit experiment performed with electron instead of photons, the electrons behave quite expectedly from previous experiments, giving the same results of interference patterns as in the case of photons. But experiments conducted to observe their travel make them bashful I should say from displaying their true capabilities. In the case of one electron being released from behind the two slits and no observing equipment or intelligent observer at any of the two slits, they give their normal interference pattern at the screen. BUt as soon as their is an observer at any of the slits, it decides to show itself up at any one of the slits and gives a pattern that would be expected of a matter particle in the classical sense. Its as if they come to know that somebody is poised to watch their quantum ( cosmic? ) dance... Then the author supporting his pet theory of many worlds existing at right angles to each other... which seems to be able to explain lots of everyday phenomenon, the most interesting being the time travel grandfather paradox. By this many worlds explanation, there is a different world that exists for each throw of the dice. So if you killed your grandfather you land up in a world where your grandfather does not exist and you are born because of other forces... Simply each choice in many probable choices exist, only that few of them might give rise to this (our) kind of intelligent beings... others choices that may be more highly probable might not even do so... All this means that we are part of a superspace... The book ends explaining various current thought processes going on the physics-philosophy world... One of them says that maybe we are part of some vacuum fluctuations and the universe is finally going to collapse into the vacuum again... something like the fire that comes out of the matchstick when you strike it and then collapses into nothingness. This kind of nothingness is something that I am not able to palate... that there is no world after this world... that what I do in this world has no meaning... that I am a mere puppet in the great show... frightening to say the least.......... that I am prebound to take the actions that I take and therefore something like being an emu, knowing that it is a bird but unable to take flight... don't know where I have veered off to... but the phrase in Geeta that frightens me the most goes "Manushya to nimit maatra hai..." Maybe someday I will be able to see this phrase in a new light... but now all that is signifies is I am free to do anything that I please simply because my actions are predestined. Ugh! Can I go and get drunk now ( 1:36 am ) and then maybe do something that would being grief to people near me... something like beat up people I don't like (?) and then give an excuse, "maine kuch nahi kiya sab uparwaale ka doshh hai". Sounds exciting? This is one philosophy that I never prescribe to and would not be doing so in future: When one does good it is by the grace of GOD and when that same person goes and pushes somebody into a well, that person has done bad and GOD does not feature... What kind of thought is this: GOD is good and we are bad? neways enuf of blabber.... Should go to sleep... although am sure it is going to be a long time in coming... ( I don't know how to count sheep!!! )

-Suchintya

No comments: